Even if you are not convicted of criminal charges, it can affect your reputation, tarnish your character, and threaten your future, even if you are convicted. The first concern that you have must be finding an experienced criminal defense attorney that will represent you best considering all the complexities of the criminal justice system and the pending outcomes that will affect your future and your freedom. The tips below will help you in your research and give you a better chance of finding the top criminal lawyer in mississauga.
- Experience level: Getting charged with a crime is a serious matter. You need a top criminal lawyer in mississauga who understands the law inside and out to represent you and provide legal advice. You may need to file your case in more than one court at a time if your case overlaps jurisdictions between the courts.
- Beware of public defenders: While it may seem tempting to use a public defender to avoid the cost of representation, they are usually inexperienced and overloaded. In consequence, they are less likely to devote their attention to your case, answer your questions, and fight on your behalf because they have so little time to address your case and answer your questions.
- Connections on the ground: Attorneys with established relationships in the local area are extremely helpful. They will be better able to understand local procedures, and have first-hand experience with judges and prosecutors. They will also know which ones consider plea bargains, and which ones do not.
- Accreditation by the board: A board-certified criminal defense lawyer is an expert in your specific area of law, and you will know that he or she knows what you are dealing with. Having a strong reputation with judges and prosecutors, specializing in criminal defense, and having numerous jury trials increases the likelihood of success and aggression.
- Available and accessible: Obtaining a lawyer who is accessible and available is essential for arranging initial and subsequent meetings as soon as possible. Time lost can result in the case being lost. A good lawyer will not only take your initial call and respond promptly to your inquiries but will also proceed with your case as soon as possible.